Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Power outage

Every day the kids and I eat breakfast and do our devotional. The devotionals we are doing right now come from the book Leading Little Ones to God. The layout is the same everyday in every devotional. First a small lesson and questions about what we just learned. Then a Bible or memory verse, the Bible reading, a hymn and finally closing prayer. The kids love it.

We do this everyday, have been for a long time. The kids know the layout and can predict what is going to occur next. We always learn something great, but today's lesson was very interesting. One I don't think they will forget, at least not Ainslee.

The lesson today was about trusting in the Lord at all times. The story was about Peter walking on water trusting the Lord, but when he saw the waves around him he became frightened. We were in the middle of our questions at this point.

First question: How could Peter walk right on top of water?
Second question: What made him begin to sink?
Third question: How should we trust God when we are sick?

At this point the kids are doing good, getting them all right. Then I asked them the 4Th question. How should we trust God when we are in the dark? All of a sudden, before they even had a chance to answer, right when I finished the question, the power completely shut off and there we were staring into the blackness. It doesn't even get light till about 11 here anymore, so the sun didn't help. Totally pitch black!

Immediately the boys were on my lap and Ainslee clinging for life at my leg. To make it worse, I am totally scared of the dark, so my heart was racing just as hard. All I could think was that this was the greatest time to continue with the devotional. I calmed MYSELF down and talked to the kids about what a great test of our hearts. We prayed, lit candles, and actually got all our chores done as a team. Ainslee carried the lantern behind us as we all went room to room.

Ainslee looked at me at one point and said "I guess I wasn't trusting God as much as I thought" So many lessons were learned, it was the coolest thing. My kids got to check their hearts right then and there, and so did I :O)

Sometimes we do see things that frighten us, and we take our eyes off of Jesus, but the greatest part of the story that I read, was at the very end. Peter lost trust in the Lord for a moment and started sinking, but Jesus didn't let him drown. As soon as Peter cried out for the Lord, Jesus grabbed him up. It is foolish to think I will never be afraid, but I know I can always cry out to the Lord, even at the last minute and know he will be there.

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience for you and your kids.

    I have to admit, that's a good reminder to me too! :)

    ReplyDelete