Monday, May 11, 2009

Honoring My Mother

On this mothers day I wanted to write a little blog about my mom. My mother is amazing. She isn't a super hero, and she isn't perfect, but she is my mom and I don't know what on earth I would have done without her love and guidance in my life.

From the moment I was born, she gave everything she could for me. She taught me integrity and kindness, love and how to be giving. She taught me how to laugh, and how to cry. She was your 5 star A+ kinda mom. I could talk about all the different ways she was amazing. About how no matter how many hours she worked, or how crazy her schedule got, she managed to be at every event, teacher conference and field trip. About how she would load the car up with as many of my friends after school as she could to give them rides home and would surprise us by stopping at 7/11 for slurpies. About how she would just show up at school during my recess just to say hi and bring me and my friends a treat. Seriously, I could go on and on. There are 2 very important things though that I could never have lived without and that I feel blessed by everyday. My mother taught me to fear and love the Lord, and she taught me about self worth.

My mother has had some things in her past that she has had to overcome. Now some people may have taken these things and been crippled by them, used them as an excuse, or just not known how to do anything else. My mother however overcame them and raised me in such a way that I can only be in awe of her strength. She raised me to love the Lord. Everything was a lesson, and that God was watching, but that he was my refuge. I came to have such a yearning and longing in my soul since I can't even remember. To know the Lord is a gift that she gave me and of everything in my life it is the one thing I could have never lived without.

My mother also taught me about self worth. I can honestly sit here and tell you now, that I can never remember a time in my life that my mother ever said anything negative about me. I was always beautiful and amazing. If I drew a picture, it was the best picture and she wanted it framed and hung in the living room as a focal point. If I got a new hair cut, it was exactly the one that suited me. If I bought a new outfit, she couldn't believe how well it fit and how great I looked. Now I understand that mothers are supposed to be this way and say those things, but she did it in such a way that she made me truly believe it all. I never questioned if I was valued. During my teenage years, things got crazy and my mom would always find a way to squash all the bad and redirect me towards my worth. I don't even think she knew she was doing it. As I got older I thought she was just being nice, but it made me feel good and that was enough for me, but now I look back and they weren't just nice words and comforting gestures. My mom believed what she said. She looked at me and saw an amazing person.

Like I said, my mother isn't some sort of super natural perfect person. She has made mistakes and we have had our share of moments like any mother and daughter will. Now that I am a mother, I just don't understand how she did it. I sit most days and think "what on earth would my mother do" I love her with everything in me and I am so proud of her. She is now in nursing school and of course excelling like she does in everything! I wish I would have gotten those genes :O) She is going to bless so many lives. She is the eternal optimist and always has a smile on her face. Kids think she is cool, and old people love her like a daughter. I was blessed to actually get to be her daughter and I thank God everyday.

Thank you mom for being everything I needed you to be when I needed you to be it. I love you! Happy Mothers Day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment